PDXLAN Bag - Review

BenderisGreat
Private
Private
City: Monroe
State: Washington

PDXLAN Bag - Review

Post by BenderisGreat » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:52 pm

Does this bag have what it takes to survive and is it worth getting?

Item: PDXLAN Backpack
Manufacturer: High Sierra
Model: Elite Fly-By 17" Computer Backpack
Bender's Rating: 4.0 out of 5.0
Cost: $115

Overview:
The first thing that you see is the large High Sierra and PDXLAN logo. This backpack does not feel cheap or thrown together at the last minute. The large zippers ensure they do not jam or catch on the material around them. I have large hands so not having to deal with tiny zippers is a major plus for me. The backpack while not being waterproof did stand up to 1 liter of Coca Cola being accidentally spilled on it and everything inside remained dry. I hauled this backpack around Sydney every day and the backpack remained comfortable despite being crammed with tech and souvenirs. There is a fair amount of padding on the backpack straps as well as suspension straps which aid in comfort, but more padding could be added. When traveling the maze that is the Seattle and Los Angeles airports the backpack has a luggage handle pass-through so you can place the backpack on your carry-on luggage. The main carry handle is not only reinforced with a braided steel cable but thick padding as well around the handle. While going through airport security the bag fell off of one of the security conveyor belts and then had an even larger suitcase slam on top of it. The bag was no worse for wear and my tablet and bottle of wine were unscathed inside.

Storage:
You get multiple pockets and compartments with this backpack. This bag went to Australia for 2 weeks and held up very well despite being man handled by TSA and being tossed everywhere in general. There is a dedicated TSA certified laptop compartment and 3 oversized main compartments, and the laptop compartment fits up to a 17inch laptop. I was able to get my Dell 12-inch rugged tablet into the laptop compartment with the keyboard attached with no issues. I also filled the other 3 large compartments. I easily fit my large Plantronics headphones, Mouse, Mouse pad, extra tablet batteries, and an assortment of chargers inside etc. In the smaller pockets I fit my international power adapters, flash drives, four 20,000 MaH power banks. There is a beverage compartment located on the left side of the backpack for oversized items such as water bottles. My favorite component of this bag is there is a wide pocket right inside the laptop pocket that allows me to store my bi-fold for my travel documentation (i.e. Passport, Boarding Pass etc..) securely while not hard to access in a hurry. My previous bags I had to pull everything out and then be able to access those items and it was a hassle. Inside the forward-most compartment you have room for tools so using the bag as an IT Field Support bag would be great! Especially with all the kinds of little storage cubbies for flash drives, pens etc.

Pros:
• High Quality Bag
• Oversized Zippers
• Plenty of Storage
• TSA Compliant Laptop Storage

Cons:
• Smaller interior compartments are not usable when the large compartments are full.
• The bag has a stand-up design and I was not able to make it stay standing upright.
• I was not able to fit a Koala Bear inside any of the compartments.

Overall I would say the bag is worth it, whether you are traveling around the world or bringing your stuff in at the next PDXLAN event.

Thanks for reading!
BenderIsGreat