I think my headphones are dead

Michael_Hopcroft
Private
Private
City: PORTLAND
State: Oregon

I think my headphones are dead

Post by Michael_Hopcroft » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:41 am

I keep having bad luck with Bluetooth headphones. The latest pair has apparently worn out the battery, as the LED charge light no longer works and it doesn't have nearly as much "on time" as it used to. At least I didn't physically break them this time.

In the past I've gotten pretty good advice here on headphones, which are pretty vital given the amount of time I spend on buses. So is there something new I can get in my limited price range that would hold up longer? These lasted about five months (not exactly sure on that).

Iceman2
Private First Class
Private First Class
City: Hillsboro

Re: I think my headphones are dead

Post by Iceman2 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:18 pm

What brand/model is your current one?

Aractor
Forums Admin
Forums Admin
City: Portland

Post by Aractor » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:26 pm

What price range are you wanting to stay in?
And with the clicking, came the ticking, of the page that was no more.
Quoth the server, 404

Michael_Hopcroft
Private
Private

Post by Michael_Hopcroft » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:48 pm

Iceman2 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:18 pm
What brand/model is your current one?
It's supposed to be a Bluedio T2, but after some things I read today I'm beginning to have my doubts.
Last edited by Michael_Hopcroft on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael_Hopcroft
Private
Private

Post by Michael_Hopcroft » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:53 pm

Aractor wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:26 pm
What price range are you wanting to stay in?
The most I can spend is about $50. Less would be better, but I imagine going too cheap will have consequences. That may be why my current headphones are starting to fail -- I spent too little money and wonder whether I was sold a forgery.

I'm also curious about how I can pair my next pair of headphones with my PC. I am presuming a dongle would be required, much like the ones for wireless controllers.

Iceman2
Private First Class
Private First Class
City: Hillsboro

Post by Iceman2 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:04 pm

Some Bluetooth headphones have the capability to be hooked up via 3.5mm/PC audio jack.

Aractor
Forums Admin
Forums Admin

Post by Aractor » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:52 pm

Michael_Hopcroft wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:53 pm
The most I can spend is about $50.
I'd recommend something like these Skullcandy wireless earbuds ($39.99 right now), or if you prefer headphones style these Avantree Wireless / Wired Bluetooth 4.0 Over Ear Headphones with Mic ($44.99 right now).
Michael_Hopcroft wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:53 pm
I'm also curious about how I can pair my next pair of headphones with my PC. I am presuming a dongle would be required, much like the ones for wireless controllers.
You can get a USB bluetooth dongle pretty cheap these days, ASUS USB Adapter with Bluetooth (USB-BT400). Though that bluetooth headphone I linked above includes a stereo cable cord to connect it to anything with a headphone jack too.
And with the clicking, came the ticking, of the page that was no more.
Quoth the server, 404

Michael_Hopcroft
Private
Private

Post by Michael_Hopcroft » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:31 pm

The advantage of a dongle is that I would be able to go everywhere in the apartment and still hear what is playing on my PC without making noise and affecting the rest of the building, at least in theory. Whether it truly has practical application is another question.

Michael_Hopcroft
Private
Private

Post by Michael_Hopcroft » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:39 pm

An update of sorts:

The battery is definitely, if not totally deceased, then breathing shallowly. After charging overnight last night, it started giving me a verbal low-battery warning only a few minutes into use. It's probably gone.

I did have a talk with the Fred Meyer clerk at Raleigh Hills today. He suggested this:

https://www.amazon.com/House-Marley-Reb ... eature_div

If I wanted to get something at store in my range, the alternative was this Skullcandy phones:

https://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-Headp ... headphones

Amazon is, of course, at a discount, and I'm surely looking at other options too. But being able to go in and pick up m phones the same day has a certain appeal.

headtrauma
Private
Private
City: Redmond
State: Washington

Post by headtrauma » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:44 am

If you're willing to go wired, I've got a pair of these that I like:
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX300 ... er+earbuds
Sound quality is nice and my previous pair lasted >5 years.
Going wired removes the battery issue and in ear monitors give pretty good noise isolation (good on a bus, potentially a downside if you need awareness of your surroundings other times).

Vector
Event Founder
Event Founder

Post by Vector » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:54 am

Michael, keep in mind that Bluetooth can be disturbed pretty easily.

When a radio works harder, it consumes more energy. Go to a place with poor cell signal (like in and out of 1 signal bar / no service) and you'll see first hand the impact on your cell phone battery.

While the range of Bluetooth in an open field is 100m, that is an open field, free of interference. My house by itself has at least 10 other wireless routers in the 2.4GHz range. (50'x100' lot) Microwaves operate in the 2.4Ghz range.

Now consider this: You live in an apartment complex with nearly everyone having a wireless router, or microwave. The signal collision must be crazy, thereby making the radio (Bluetooth) work that much harder. This will cause you to have to issues more frequently than most and it will cause you to charge more often, have more interference, and more signal deterioration.

All this to say this:
- Consider keeping your transmit device close to your receive device, not in the other room where it must work harder.
- Consider having wired headphones
- Also, if you haven't checked, is the battery replaceable?
=Vector=

Michael_Hopcroft
Private
Private

Post by Michael_Hopcroft » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:15 pm

Vector wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:54 am
All this to say this:
- Consider keeping your transmit device close to your receive device, not in the other room where it must work harder.
- Consider having wired headphones
- Also, if you haven't checked, is the battery replaceable?
At the moment, I'm not positive I can consider any headphones for the moment. While having something I can listen to my PC or TV on without bothering anyone or being tied to my chair is tempting, the main thing I would need the headphones for are buses, waiting rooms, grocery stores, and other places where it's really handy to have a soundtrack, I don't need to bother anyone else, and a cord would really get in the way. With BT I can keep my phone securely in my pocket and only take it out when I need to change the file I'm playing or do something else with it.

Drunk Mexican
City: West Linn

Post by Drunk Mexican » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:17 pm

Michael_Hopcroft wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:15 pm
With BT I can keep my phone securely in my pocket and only take it out when I need to change the file I'm playing or do something else with it.
I don't really understand this part. Whenever I use wired headphones, I always keep my phone securely in my pocket. I guess I don't understand why you feel this is only possible with BT.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA

Contributing to the PDXLAN Community since PDXLAN 9

Michael_Hopcroft
Private
Private

Post by Michael_Hopcroft » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:40 am

Drunk Mexican wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:17 pm
Michael_Hopcroft wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:15 pm
With BT I can keep my phone securely in my pocket and only take it out when I need to change the file I'm playing or do something else with it.
I don't really understand this part. Whenever I use wired headphones, I always keep my phone securely in my pocket. I guess I don't understand why you feel this is only possible with BT.
it's possible, and I do it, but it's easier with Bluetooth. I don't have to worry about the wires, getting tangled in safety belts, etc. And if I'm in a place like the gym, I don't have a secure pocket for the phone.