Browser question.

Zubaru
Private
Private
City: Beaverton
State: Oregon

Browser question.

Post by Zubaru » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:40 am

I am vastly becoming disillusioned with the current releases of the top web browsers (Chrome, Firefox, MS Edge, Opera). All of them are memory hungry/processor intensive bloatware (my opinion), what is everyone using that is more lightweight?

And go!
My sig is too small, for me to add what i wan

xeromist
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator
City: Sacramento
State: California

Re: Browser question.

Post by xeromist » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:50 am

I use Vivaldi but I don't know that it's any lighter. It's just chromium under the hood with a JS skin. I like it because it's from the original Opera devs who seem to know what I like.
At a bus station, a bus stops. At a train station, a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Pietzaahh
PDXLAN Staff
PDXLAN Staff
City: Portland

Post by Pietzaahh » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:53 am

I've been using Chromium lately. As long as you don't go crazy with extensions, you should be fine. The trouble with today's websites is that their payload has more than doubled since just 3 years ago. Your best bet is to get ad-blocking at the router or DNS level using something like Pi-hole. That will prevent your browser from even seeing the bloated ad-network code.

https://www.machmetrics.com/speed-blog/ ... years-ago/
ɥɥɐɐzʇǝᴉԀ | Matt #3 | Staff since PDXLAN 23

Vector
Event Founder
Event Founder

Post by Vector » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:31 am

/moved to software discussion
=Vector=

Socialoutcast
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Socialoutcast » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:32 am

Pietzaahh wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:53 am
I've been using Chromium lately. As long as you don't go crazy with extensions, you should be fine. The trouble with today's websites is that their payload has more than doubled since just 3 years ago. Your best bet is to get ad-blocking at the router or DNS level using something like Pi-hole. That will prevent your browser from even seeing the bloated ad-network code.

I run a pi-hole vm for my dns at home and man oh man is it nice.

Zubaru
Private
Private

Post by Zubaru » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:52 pm

Vector wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:31 am
/moved to software discussion
Thank you.

Zubaru
Private
Private

Post by Zubaru » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:59 pm

Pietzaahh wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:53 am

this ^^^^^^ is true but just firing up Chrome, to an internal web page without any payloads at all, there are 5 process applications started, and memory and proc usage jumps 50% or better with just one tab open. More tabs, it just gets worse from there.

zub

ccoelnwhack
Private First Class
Private First Class
City: Hillsboro

Post by ccoelnwhack » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:38 am

Work I use Chrome, cause I have like 32 gigs of ram in my work machine and I work with SaaS apps so I am in a browser all day and I have been using it since I started here and its got all my passwords/favs in it before the days it got slow as hell.

Home desktop which has less ram than work, and then also my Dual Core Thinkpad.. I run firefox.

Android Phone - Firefox Mobile

All use uBlockOrigin (works better than ABP), Grammarly on the work machine, and then a fullscreen capture extension.

Firefox has been fastest to me (Chromes a beast).

Chromium on m Raspi Zero W while running apt-get upgrade (or maybe update).. Brought it to a crawl.

There's always the lightest browser of them all.. Lynx!

Aractor
Forums Admin
Forums Admin

Post by Aractor » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:07 am

Zubaru wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:59 pm
...just firing up Chrome, to an internal web page without any payloads at all, there are 5 process applications started, and memory and proc usage jumps 50% or better with just one tab open. More tabs, it just gets worse from there.
I've heard this complaint before, but I've never really understood it.

While you're using the browser, are there on programs running suffering from Chrome using those resources? If your system's memory & CPU are largely sitting unused than I don't see the harm in Chrome using all it can get to deliver the best experience possible. In my experience, poorly written 3rd party extensions aside, Chrome has always scaled it's resource needs back when it's not actively doing things. I regularly have Chrome up & running with many tabs open while doing full 1080p gaming on a second monitor at the same time, without any performance impact at all; Running an I7-6700K CPU with 16GB of RAM.
And with the clicking, came the ticking, of the page that was no more.
Quoth the server, 404

Zubaru
Private
Private

Post by Zubaru » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:31 pm

Aractor wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:07 am
... I regularly have Chrome up & running with many tabs open while doing full 1080p gaming on a second monitor at the same time, without any performance impact at all; Running an I7-6700K CPU with 16GB of RAM.
This is experienced at work, with a few .pdf's open, outlook, ADUC, 6 terminal sessions, slack, sometimes a spreadsheet, & a word doc, and chrome. Core i3, 8Gb RAM, and SSD. It's amazingly quick unless I open chrome/firefox.

I'm just looking for something more lightweight than chrome/firefox/opera/IE/Edge. I don't need the extensions, all are removed anyways.